The summer is finally here ☀️ Swim, play and be free - here are our best summer tips to prepare you for a sunny summer with your dog 💚
Time for the summer holidays with your dog!
During the summer holidays, we have more time to spend with our loved ones and let's not forget our furry friends. But with the summer comes challenges, thus, we have gathered our best summer tips for a fantastic summer with your dog.
Nutritious food and plenty of fluids
The heat of summer makes it extra important to make sure that your dog eats properly, gets the nutrition he needs, and drinks plenty of water. It is extra important to make sure that your dog always has access to water 💦
Swimming with your dog
Does your dog like to swim? Swimming together is a great activity to develop your bond, but also a perfect way for your dog to cool off in the heat. Here are some things to keep in mind when swimming with your dog:
- The dog should want to swim himself. If your dog does not want to jump or walk-in, do not force it at all, then it can develop a fear of the water.
- Make sure you are in a place where dog swimming is allowed. Dogs are not allowed in public swimming areas in Sweden.
- Bring something to play with, a toy for fetch is perfect!
- All dogs can swim, but feel free to use a life jacket to be on the safe side. Dogs can suffer from cramps or cold sores.
- Dry the dog thoroughly after swimming to reduce moisture eczema.
- If you go to a beach, bring an umbrella so the dog can lie in the shade between dips.
The warm weather is great, but cooling your companion is key
In the summer heat, your dog might like to lie on a cooling blanket, soaking his nose and paws in cold water or treating themself to an ice cream made for dogs. Also, make sure that your dog always has a place in the shade if you are outdoors 🌤
Take strategic walks
Even though the summer days are nice, it may be wise to take long walks in the mornings and evenings when the heat has subsided a bit. In the middle of a warm day, short walks in the shade may be enough. Also, avoid walking on paved roads, dogs can burn their paws on the ground.
Enjoy the summer together!
Summer, summer, and sun! Despite the challenges, it's a wonderful time, so be sure to enjoy, go to outdoor cafes, and discover new places in nature together! 💚
Here you can read more about what you should keep in mind when traveling with a dog!